Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Memorized Scripture

I've heard before the secret to developing a photographic memory: memorize a scripture a day for a year. I tried it for a while, choosing short verses at random, but was disappointed when nothing was sticking, and decided to call it quits.

Elder Richard G. Scott, in the October 2011 conference, taught that "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change." (The Power of Scripture)

I've reflected on this statement again and again, and contemplated memorizing scriptures once more. I even memorized one or two here and there. Then recently the discussion of developing a photographic memory came up again. This time the friend I was speaking with shared an example of a man who chose a chapter and worked on full chapters rather than random verses.

I was again filled with the desire to memorize God's word. Today I memorized the 20th verse from 2 Nephi 4. As I've been memorizing this chapter I have indeed found a friend. New insights pop out to me every time I recite the verses. I get excited each day to "forge a new friendship" and receive more inspiration.

With more than half the chapter memorized I look forward to starting in on another. Whether or not I have a photographic memory in a year no longer matters as much as the depth of what I am learning each day. I now have a life long friend in the scriptures.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. I too have been working on memorizing a chapter and lo and behold it is 2 Nephi chapter 4. Great minds think a like. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...