Wednesday, February 1, 2012

...With Waiting

I came across a scripture the other day that I've read many times before but never truly noticed. In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Nephi prays for understanding to know for himself about what his father taught. He is given a vision of God's plan; part of the vision includes seeing his brothers rebellion and the distruction of his own descendents.

After his vision Nephi came across his brothers whom he'd just had a vision concerning. His brothers addressed Nephi, "disputing one with another concerning the things which [their] father had spoken." (1 Nephi 15:2) Despairing over his brother's pride, Nephi declaires, "I was overcome because of mine afflictions, for I considered that mine afflictions were great above all, because of the destruction of my people, for I had beheld their fall." (1 Nephi 15:5)

What I had never noticed before was that after seeing his brother's attitudes, Nephi waits. He states, "after I had received strength I spake unto my brethren." (1 Nephi 15:6; emphasis added)

Rather than trying to speak to, and help his brothers while he was "overcome" with emotion, he waited until his emotions had been soothed and he'd gained strength of mind.

This is a great pattern for us to follow. Before trying to approach others about sensative subjects we should take Nephi's example of waiting, calming down, and contemplating. As we do so our minds will be open and will be able to more lovingly work with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...